Employment at Cx Associates
October 2018 - Cx Associates is seeking to hire a Senior Engineer (SE) with expertise in HVAC engineering.
Cx Associates is a busy, growing, mission-driven consulting engineering firm looking for a seasoned engineer who’s keen to work on exciting energy efficiency projects for a large portfolio of clients in the Northeast. We’re a small firm that offers a relaxed, flexible, open (and dog friendly!) working environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and an employee-friendly workplace.
If you’re eager to work alongside our principals and the rest of our team to bring best-in-class energy engineering consulting services to our clients, then read on.
Who We’re Looking For
This isn’t your first rodeo. You have at least 8 years of experience with commercial HVAC systems and controls, including HVAC design, systems optimization, and energy efficiency analysis. If you’ve got a lot more than 8 years of experience, give us a shout anyway. This position can be quite flexible.
You’re curious. You’re a creative problem-solver who excels at finding innovative solutions to problems. You are an intellectually curious individual who is committed to continuous learning and staying abreast of developments in the field. You’re not afraid to look for and learn new solutions that you think could benefit the organization and execute them.
You know your way around software. You’re highly proficient in Excel – you’ve mastered most kinds of formulas and know your way around pivot tables and macros. You’ve used spreadsheets to run complex analyses and boil down large amounts of data. Apart from Excel, you’re highly proficient with MS Office and G-Suite. You have experience with modeling software like eQUEST.
You’re a demonstrated skilled written communicator. Even though most of your day will be spent doing engineering, our work often includes a lot of writing. You’re adept at different types of writing, from professional emails to proposals to technical reports. You can keep your audience in mind and tailor your style (more/less technical) to most effectively reach your reader.
You’re self-motivated. You’re the kind of person who takes initiative to insert yourself when you see opportunities to improve internal process efficiency. You keep the proverbial monkey off of other people’s backs and tackle things yourself, constructively seeking input when needed.
You have a sense of humor. We take our work very seriously, but we also like to have fun. You’re someone who can get along with a lot of different types of personalities and people with different backgrounds, and you enjoy the occasional viral cat video.
You’re eco-conscious. You have a demonstrated interest in sustainability and environmentalism, and you walk the talk. This may take the form of opting for public transit or your bike when possible, composting, being an activist for environmental causes, or taking other steps to lessen your environmental footprint.
You’re trustworthy. You have stellar references and a clean record. ‘Nuff said.
Bonus points. You have 5+ years of experience performing building commissioning, managing projects, designing BAS controls, and/or you have earned a professional certification like a P.E., CCP, BCxP, etc. You have experience in healthcare and steam boiler plants.
Things You Might Do
Cx Associates is a small but growing business, with dozens of active projects. The senior engineer will have to juggle a lot of balls at once. Here are some examples of things the SE might do:
- Test a new 1000-ton chiller plant at a new $500m hospital facility and figure out ways to make it run more efficiently
- Use energy meters to collect data at a large university student center facility to analyze usage and make recommendations for reducing consumption
- Troubleshoot an ailing heating plant that can’t seem to keep up with demand despite seeming to have more capacity than necessary based on nameplate data.
- Write a commissioning plan
- Visit a 50-year-old industrial facility with an equally dated HVAC system to find ways to make cost-effective improvements and save the owner energy
- Provide mentorship to engineers on our staff
- Design an HVAC retrofit for a 100,000 SF manufacturing facility with failing systems. Your design would include drawings, scopes of work, specifications, and BAS sequences of operations.
- Meet with the stakeholders of a new operating room to get input on all the needs of the users of the space to ensure it not only is energy efficient but also caters to the special needs of health care facility occupants
- Help the owner of a medium-size office building in our community figure out what’s wrong with her cooling system by diagnosing problems and looking for ways to not only fix issues but to make the entire system more efficient
- Use energy modeling software to model a 300,000 SF dormitory and make recommendations for increasing energy efficiency to the owner
- Continually review your project budgets and scopes of work and ensure projects come in under or at budget
- Attend and present at an industry conference, furthering Cx Associates’ reputation in the marketplace as best-in-class experts
- Find out what’s wrong with a building’s control system and develop the necessary modifications to make the building operate better and use less energy.
- Write and cost estimate a winning proposal and scope of work for a new $250m state office building, which would help fill the firm’s new business pipeline
The Whole Package
Cx Associates cares about its employees and recognizes that its employees are the firm’s most important and valuable resource. We believe in a solid work/life balance not often found at engineering consulting firms. We encourage our employees to use their personal time. And while we recognize that we all have the occasional crunch period, we also know that regularly working tons of overtime can actually be counterproductive.
- Competitive salary
- Excellent health care coverage (CxA pays 90-100% for individual plans, plus 50% of coverage for additional family members)
- Health plan includes telemedicine service
- Free Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 401(k) Plan with 3% Safe Harbor contribution and annual profit sharing
- Green incentives program with free bus passes, CarShare Vermont membership, and credits for bike supplies/tune ups or new walking shoes
- Life insurance
- 30 days of paid time off annually
- Support for professional development
Send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
**Submissions without cover letters will not be considered.**
For complete details, please click here for a full job description for the Senior Engineer Position.